Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73

Thread: The Speaker Cable

  1. #21
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Nipper View Post
    I will believe some of this cable crap when I start seeing them making the amps with the same wire INSIDE the amp leading to the speaker terminals, inputs, etc.... Case closed.
    :snickerpup:
    My speaker cables are "Groneberg Quattro Reference" and the cables inside the Odyssey Audio amps are also of this type. Case re-opened.

  2. #22
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Yeah Nipper - you haven't been looking hard enough. It's pretty common practice in high end amps.

  3. #23
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    Yeah Nipper - you haven't been looking hard enough. It's pretty common practice in high end amps.
    If you're talking boutique amps, then it's likely there to keep up with the image, not becasue it really matters.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #24
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    AbG

    Amen to that.

  5. #25
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    I disagree. I have never seen a McIntosh with boutique wire. It's not common practice, just limited to boutique amps.

    In the old days "high end" was defined by performance...most of what I see as "high end" now is defined by appearance or marketing.

    Levinson did use silver plated with Teflon insulation. IMHO that is just good quality wire.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #26
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Do you guys ever go to audio shows? Read the lit?

    Yes, many of the amps (and speakers) that use fancy wire are "Boutique." Does not mean they are expensive, tho. Some are, some are not. But if we are talking of fancy wires, why leave out "fancy" amps?

    If you're talking boutique amps, then it's likely there to keep up with the image, not because it really matters.
    Never said it mattered, just that it's done.

  7. #27
    Senior Hostboard Member
    The Speaker Cable


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Dunno, we can all disagree I hope.

    I just feel boutique amps concentrate on image.

    Doesn't mean a boutique amp can not have a reasonable price, or adequate specs.

    If it makes you happy do it. I'm not into what we in the industry call "gingerbread" which is things done to help sell the item rather than improve performance.

    The fact that many if not most of the best amps don't use special wire argues to me it isn't necessary.

    I could see, for instance, silver windings in the secondary of an output tranny. Stepping down voltages could lead to resistive losses. Silver speaker wire carries a way stronger argument than a silver power cord. Unnecessary IMHO, but at least makes more sense.

    But 6 inches of fancy wire inside an amp is likely to have negligible effect. OTOH quality wire over crap will probably help the amp maintain it's specs long term.

    I just consider it unproven that most wire is any better quality. I have seen a zillion experiments. Most sounded no better, some worse. But if it made the owner happy, it didn't cost much.

    My only argument is against people like Monster running a zillion percent markup. Anybody who sells at an honest price I got no quarrel with. I may not buy it, anybody who wants is free to.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  8. #28
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    Yes, but I was always told that Litz wire only really works well below 20 Hz - the stranded might work better for other reasons, but, if memory serves, Litz wire, aka Monster Cable, has individually sealed conductors, whereas 16-gauge zip cord doesn't...
    Hmm, I believe some primers are in order:


    Skin effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_strength

    Litz wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Twisted pair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    From these we see that while the Litz wire has a lower skin effect it's basically meaningless at audio frequencies in a typical HIFI/HT app, so turning the zip cord into a twisted pair reduces the potentially audible differences to those that can be attributable to its higher inductive and capacitive reactance due to the larger gap between the twisted pair's conductors, ergo using a thin insulation with a high dielectric strength is desirable to minimize L, C, R distortion.

    Fortunately, the pioneers of electrical power distribution were forced to work all this out early on to minimize the various distortions that increase with increasing distance and AFAIK magnet winding wire construction is still as good as it gets (and why driver VC construction uses it), so for me to potentially improve on my 'el cheapo' DIY cables, i.e. make them technically lower in distortion, I'd have to make them from magnet winding wire, which I recommend for lower current apps such as HF systems or where I want to add some high SQ series resistance.

    For long runs where a single conductor size causes unacceptable distortion, Litz wire construction is theoretically the way to go, though certain measured test docs I once had access to indicated that for typical HIFI/HT apps it's not worth the extra cost/effort until > ~12 ga is required and judging by decades old audio signal wire size charts that only spec'd. a twisted pair they apparently came to the same conclusion. Even then, twisting isn't required until 'X' feet is exceeded at 'Y' impedance for 'Z' gauge wire.

    For example, an 8 ohm speaker doesn't need a twisted pair cable until its one way run is > ~15 ft/22 ga and > 95 ft/14 ga.. Since my test cables are ~15 ft one way and the speakers are nominally 4 ohm, technically I didn't need to twist them since they needed to be > 30 ft long, ergo good quality zip cord would have been fine for the app.

    All that said, if the signal source is distorted enough that adding any more in series with it sums to something audibly perceived as for the worse, then of course reducing and/or altering the wiring system's distortion characteristics (i.e. its L, C, R properties) is a viable tweak that the boutique cables address and why I recommend twisting regardless of length just in case.

    Me, I'd rather do it with acoustic solutions as far as practical and only then fine tune them with electronics. This has been/will always be my recommendation, but if one has the desire/means/perseverance to test as many different expensive cables as it takes (and/or those tweaks that defy physics as most of us understand it) to find the best perceived performance, then who am I to try and talk them out of it?

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  9. #29
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by RonSSS View Post
    The question I have is how relevant is a comparison done at 2 khz?

    Also, what happens when you use a tube amp with a relatively high output impedance?
    2 kHz (give or take) is where human hearing peaks (most efficient), so wide BW distortion must be below the signal's noise floor around/at this frequency.

    The higher the signal impedance, the higher the speaker's effective impedance, ergo the higher its system Qt.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  10. #30
    Senior Hostboard Member Steve Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 5th, 2006
    Posts
    732
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

    Re: The Speaker Cable

    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    2 kHz (give or take) is where human hearing peaks (most efficient), so wide BW distortion must be below the signal's noise floor around/at this frequency.

    The higher the signal impedance, the higher the speaker's effective impedance, ergo the higher its system Qt.

    GM
    It's true that the largest component is 2KHz.
    But just to make it more clear or more muddy....

    A Square Wave = The sum of odd harmonics of a sine wave where the amplitude of each is 1/n where `n' is the harmonic number. Now take "n" to infinity and you have a perfect square wave.

    First a square wave is theoretically impossible in a constrained frequency domain.

    So for a 2KHz square wave with amplitude of "1V" for argument's sake:
    A 2KHz square wave =
    1V-2KHz sine wave + 0.3V-6KHz sine wave + 0.2V-10KHz sine wave +
    0.142857V-14KHz sine wave + 0.111111V-18KHz sine wave + 0.090909V-22KHz sine wave
    + etc,etc. ad infinitum....

    ...but we're only interested in getting the highest reproducible frequency unadulterated
    ...to the speakers.
    ...and the blips in the example appear to be in the "audible" range at significant amplitude
    ...to hear.

    I'm not really drawing any conclusions....and thanks GM for the primer links...
    It's just that I'm glad I took calculus based physics in college.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.